IOSH – Managing Safely
Course Overview: The Managing Safely course is for those required to manage safely and effectively in compliance with both their organization’s policy and best practice in health and safety.
The course aims to ensure that safety requirements are appreciated by people employed as line managers, and to enable them to empower their own departmental systems for safety, introducing new controls or implementing changes that would be appropriate to ensure safety in the workplace.
IOSH Managing Safely Syllabus Summary
- Explain ‘working safely’.
- Explain the component parts of a recognized safety management system such as HSG65, BS 8800, and OHSAS 18001.
- Identify the data and techniques required to produce an adequate record of an incident and demonstrate the procedure for an accident investigation, recognizing the human factors involved.
- Describe statutory requirements for reporting and procedures for checking for non-reporting.
- Describe methods of basic trend and epidemiological analysis for reactive monitoring data.
- Define ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’, and describe the legal requirements for risk assessment.
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of a quantitative risk assessment technique and the data required for records.
- Describe workplace precaution hierarchies.
- Prepare and use active monitoring checklists and implement schedules for active monitoring, recording results and analyzing records.
- Outline the main provisions of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.
- Outline relevant health and safety legislation, codes of practice, guidance notes and information sources such as the Health and Safety Executive.
On-line Examination / Assessment
The final examination is taken on-line after you have studied the course material. Understanding of the course material is evaluated by means of a multiple choice examination comprising of a mixture of short and multiple choice online questions, plus an end of course assignment.
Did you know?
The IOSH Managing Safely course is an ideal starting point for your Health and Safety career wherein you will have an underpinning knowledge of the core health and safety subjects; therefore making you better prepared for your quest in NEBOSH studies!
The IOSH Managing Safely course is also one of the few available approved courses you can complete ‘entirely on-line’, including your (uploaded) work-based assignment and on-line (timed 45 minute) examination.